npower League 2 - Saturday 7th May 2011
Attendance 4,478
The final game of the 2010-11 season was a nail-biter!

The final game of the 2010-11 season at home to Port Vale was a must win scenario with Chairmen, Managers, Directors, Supporters and Players alike on tenterhooks relying on another clubs misfortune and subsequent heartbreak.

With Stockport County already down it was simply Lincoln City or Barnet for the second relegation place into the Blue Square Premier. The Bees had lost badly at Accrington Stanley the previous Saturday to drop into the bottom two and were two points adrift yet with a far superior goal difference but were taking some heart that Lincoln had picked up just 2 points from a possible 30 and were on an appalling run of form. The Imps' final game was at Sincil Bank against Aldershot Town who frankly had literally nothing to play for except pride.
Mark Marshall and Jude Sterling

Both games were nail-biting 0-0's at half time but Barnet had squandered four good chances from Izale McLeod, Mark Byrne, Daniel Leach and Mark Marshall. Yet within barely a minute of the restart a break came the Bees way as Port Vale's Gary Owen upended McLeod in the box. The prevailing hush became euphoria as the striker picked himself up to thrash in goal number 14 for the season. Nervous patrons began to shift their attention between the live game in front of them and their mobile phones praying for good tidings from Sincil bank . A wonderful buzz followed by a roar then swept around Underhill as news arrived that Aldershot had been awarded a penalty and had gone one up courtesy of Danny Hylton. Incredibly Luke Guttridge then grabbed a second for the Shots and a sensationally a third four minutes from time! It was a surreal experience hearing those updates surrounded by your comrades on reflection – emotional and dumbfounding.
Izale McLeod

Out on the pitch Barnet, while trying desperately to increase their lead as an equaliser from Vale would have been terminal and made the Aldershot victory irrelevant, looked over in shock towards the Fourth Official as an agonising six minutes of injury time was to be added. Knots in the stomachs increased and I admit to feeling physically sick at this point. At last the final whistle went, so begin the charge! Barnet legend Giuliano Grazioli, the man who had became the club's fourth manager of the season just five games earlier when Martin Allen unexpectedly quit after only 19 days in charge was buried by hordes of admirers. The club has survived literally by the skin of their teeth.
"I've got to thank Aldershot," said Graz cheekily "but I knew the lads would put a performance in.".
Grazioli and admirers

"Whatever happens at full time please can everyone stay off the pitch," was the repeated message from the Tannoy Box during the game but how is it possible to deny the fans that moment of pure joy to dance on the pitch with players, stewards and even police officers and celebrate that your club is safe – at least for another year!

Barnet: Sam Walker- Clovis Kamdjo, Joe Devera, Daniel Leach, Jordan Parkes – Mark Marshall, Sam Deering, Mark Hughes, Mark Byrne – Jack Midson, Izale McLeod.
Subs: Liam O'Brien, Glen Southam, Ricky Homes, Sam Cox, Charlie Taylor, Jude Stirling and Tommy Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment